Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Welding



I've always been interested in welding and using the ocy-acetylene torch. These processes involve using either an electrical arc or a very hot flame to reduce steel to a pool of molten liquid.

Its a little dangerous and very, very useful around the farm. So I decided to take a class in welding offered by The Crucible (www.thecrucible.org)
If you are interested in woodworking, jewelry making, glass blowing, fixing bicycles or motorcycles, or simply making the biggest, baddest fire-breathing dinosaur/golf cart in next years Burning Man - this is the place for you.
They offer classes in lots of different subjects and have dedicated volunteers and excellent equipment.

In one weekend I learned that welding is not as easy as it looks. But I think I have the basic skills needed for simple and ugly repairs on the farm.

We were given the option of making a sculpture in our welding class. I thought that I would just concentrate on practicing welding on random scraps of metal - it seemed more important than doing a half-assed art project. But my random scraps of metal quickly assorted themselves into a primordial man sculpture.
Then I thought I would leave it at the Crucible because it would be worth more as scrap metal than as something that would just clutter up the house.
But as the day progressed, I became more and more attached to my little man and now he is sitting here on the couch with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let us know if you would like to know more about the chocolate we make for sale in Sonoma or if you are interested in visiting the farm in Costa Rica.