Sunday, January 31, 2010

Little Treasures of Farm Life

Today we took a walk through what we call The Fruit Park.  Behind the farm house, we turned the whole field which was used as pasture for cows into a field of exotic fruit trees.  When we planted we didn’t know what we know now so not all survived but amazingly many did and it was great fun to see them all.  Jim knows what all the trees are by sight and I am still learning.

A little routine has developed between me and the kids, who’s names are Anthony, Kimberly, Jasmine, and Julieta,  so I will probably call them kids or children just to save my fingers.  After the morning’s practice time and farm work which may change from day to day (Today was the fruit park walk), we eat and then some kind of nap.  I usually give myself a Biodynamic session.  For the past week I can count on the kids waking me up just when I’m finished and we all commence learning Spanish and English together. 

Sometimes this is not so successful.   I found out that when there is a person from one language trying to learn the others language and neither of us knows the other's language at all it is like the blind leading the blind.  So I have been getting little short lessons from Jim and that gives me a head start on what to work on in the afternoon for the lessons.  Today was very good and was inspired by the difficulty in the morning when Kimberly came by and spent five minutes asking me if she can have the milk pitcher to bring down to the corral.  So today’s lesson was “Nosotros prestamos el pichel”  May we borrow the pitcher.  It turned into may they borrow Mileu (our horse) to go to town tomorrow.  They always do on Sundays to go to church but it was fun to practice the question.  It so cute to see them try to make sounds that are difficult like the le part of little was very difficult for them.  I am learning just as much…I think.

Freddy came back today and we had lunch.  Then we talked about what work would be done.  He was clear that work would start tomorrow and we all went off to nap.   I just love a carpenter who comes to work and first thing eats and sleeps.  Muy tranquillo. 

He brought back gifts for the kids too, some books for coloring that have English lessons with the pictures, plus four yoyo’s.  That will be tomorrow’s surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let us know if you would like to know more about the chocolate we make for sale in Sonoma or if you are interested in visiting the farm in Costa Rica.